Access to clean water is a Human Right
Background Facts according to UN
- Fresh and clean water is one of our most vital resources and environmental regulation set down tighter requirements to all business segments
- 1 in 10 people lack access to safe water.
- Every 90 seconds a child dies from a water-related disease.
- Every $1 invested in water and sanitation provides a $4 economic return.
- Women and children spend 125 million hours each day collecting water.
- Climate change and human population growth will have a dramatic influence in the need for fresh water.
- By the year 2025, as much as 60% of the global population may suffer physical water scarcity.
- The UN estimates that 1.8 billion people have critically limited access to fresh water today and that 5.3 billion will be in a similar situation by 2050.
- Over 2 billion people live in countries experiencing high water stress. (UN, 2018)
- It is estimated that by 2040, one in four of the world’s children under 18 – some 600 million in all – will be living in areas of extremely high water stress. (UNICEF, 2017)
- 700 million people worldwide could be displaced by intense water scarcity by 2030. (Global Water Institute, 2013)
- About 4 billion people, representing nearly two-thirds of the world population,
experience severe water scarcity during at least one month of the year (Mekonnen and Hoekstra, 2016)
- With the existing climate change scenario, by 2030, water scarcity in some arid and semi-arid places will displace between 24 million and 700 million people. (UNESCO, 2009).
- A third of the world’s biggest groundwater systems are already in distress (Richey et al., 2015).
- Nearly half the global population are already living in potential waterscarce areas at least one month per year and this could increase to some 4.8–5.7 billion in 2050. About 73% of the affected people live in Asia (69% by 2050) (Burek et al., 2016).
Water is a necessity for human existence and for the sustainability of the planet
Quote from UN water scarcity pages: “water scarcity already affects every continent. Water use has been growing globally at more than twice the rate of population increase in the last century, and an increasing number of regions are reaching the limit at which water services can be sustainably delivered, especially in arid regions.
We at Biobros are here to help in tackling the water scarcity problem with our new, innovative electrocoagulation technology. Biobros’ mission is to solve water and wastewater problems comprehensively and sustainably. We aim to find the best possible solution for water problems/challenges in technical and economic terms, using new, innovative water purification methods.
Biobros was established in autumn of 2019 in the heart of Lakeland Finland (Kuopio) by an enthusiastic team of highly professional business and industrial experts. First investment round was realized in autumn of 2019 by a brave investment team of friends, who have strong ice-hockey background. Another, environmental technology enthusiastic (Alpo Saastamoinen Oy) joined the Biobros team in early 2020.
Biobros is one of the first start-up companies in Kuopio Water Cluster, which is a multi-disciplinary cluster focused on providing solutions in water sector. Kuopio Water Cluster provides access to specialised laboratories, experts, and assisting personnel from all partnering organisations. Laboratory scale tests are combined with custom-made, containerised pilot-scale test-rigs allowing for rapid on-site demonstrations.
From the beginning, Biobros has started to develop its’ own IPR-portfolio based on electrocoagulation. We filed our own EC-patent in December 2019 and obtained another EC-technology licence from Kierto Ympäristöpalvelut Ltd. in early 2020. With these two patented EC-technologies we believe that we can tackle a vast variety of water and wastewater problems.
In the first two years of operation, we have developed a competent network and supply chain, with whom we have the capability of delivering water treatment solutions to any customer. Outoplan Oy is our primary partner in engineering our patented EC-technologies.
As a Finnish company, our core values are honesty, innovation, customer orientation and promoting sustainability.
Now in April 2022, world is facing enormous challenges of Covid-19 pandemic, war in Ukraine, climate change, biodiversity loss, etc.., but we at Biobros haven’t lost hope for a better tomorrow and will do our best in tackling of mankind’s biggest challenges (water scarcity).